The proofreading service includes checking the following:
- Spelling and typing errors
- Paragraph formatting
- Dialogue formatting and
- Consultation with the author if any of the above raises questions
It doesn't include:
- checking for anomalies in the text (e.g. names, facts)
Copyright and ownership
You retain sole copyright and ownership of all materials submitted to Small World Bookworks for proofreading, and of the files produced and delivered to you when the work is completed.
See the Small World Bookworks terms and conditions.
- Contact me by email (see Contact page) with an indication of the type of manuscript you wish to have proofread (fiction, non-fiction, poetry) and how many words it represents.
- I will send you by email a quote and an estimate of how long the work will take.
- If you are happy with my quote, email me your manuscript (ideally a Microsoft Word or OpenOffice text document). If there is something unforeseen in the manuscript which will require an adjustment to the quote I will contact you straight away. If all is well, I will send you an invoice for your deposit and, when the payment is received, will start work on your manuscript.
- You will receive two versions of the proofread document: the final fully amended version, ready for use, and another showing all corrections, so that you can see where the changes have been made to your original manuscript.
- The balance of the fee is due once the project is completed.
How to pay
My preferred method is via PayPal Email (you don’t need a PayPal account).
On receipt of your manuscript, I will email you an invoice for your deposit, through the PayPal secure system. PayPal Email is secure and quick, and gives you the choice of paying by credit or debit card – or via your PayPal account if you have one. When the work is completed, I will send you another invoice by PayPal Email for the balance.
(Payment by cheque in £ Sterling or in € Euros is possible, but this is likely to delay the start of the project while the cheque clears.)
Current proofreading rates
Per 1,000 words: UK £6.60 / €7.30 / US $10.00.
(These are actual costs: there are no hidden taxes, and any
currency conversion or transaction costs will be met by me.)
If you would like to see a sample of my work before committing yourself, I would be happy to proofread 1,500 words of your manuscript without obligation (provided the extract represents no more than 10 per cent of your manuscript).
back to top